Shared Use Facilities
- Laboratory for Isotopes and Metals in the Environment (LIME)
LIME has the following shared equipment: Inductively Coupled Plasma - Atomic Emission Spectrometry (ICP-AES); Inductively Coupled Plasma - Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS); Multiple Collector Inductively-Coupled Mass Spectrometry (MC-ICP-MS); and Elemental Analyzer- Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometer (EA-IRMS).
- Cryogenic Vacuum Distillation System (Eissenstat Lab)
Lab focus is on the extraction of leaf and stem water prior to analysis of natural abundance stable isotopes (oxygen-18 and deuterium).
Specifications: A total of 5 units are available to extract water from plant tissue and may be operated simultaneously. Each unit consists of a sample tube, condenser tube, attachment to vacuum line, vacuum gauge, and associated stopcocks, fittings, o-rings, and clamps. Samples must fit within the sample tube, which is about 16 centimeters tall, and has a diameter of about 2.5 centimeters.
- Water Quality Lab
(View our rates | View flyer | Visit PA Water Resources Research Institute)
The Pennsylvania Water Resources Research Center maintains a water quality laboratory equipped with a full range of analytical instruments for specific water analyses such as pH, alkalinity, acidity, specific conductance, sulfates, turbidity, chlorides, fluorides, and various forms of carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus, metals, and heavy metals. The laboratory follows strict quality assurance and quality control guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Techniques available are listed below:
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometer - Flame
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometer - Furnace
- Acidity – Alkalinity Titration
- Acid Neutralizing Capacity
- Ion Chromatography – Fluoride, Chloride, Nitrate, Sulfate
- Carbon/Nitrogen Analyzer - DIC – DOC - TN
- Discrete Automated Wet Chemistry Analyzer – NH3,SiO2, P
- Isotope Analyzer - Oxygen 16/18, Deuterium/Hydrogen
- Solids Analysis- Total, Settleable, Total Dissolved, Total Suspended
- Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences: Shared Technology Facilites
- Materials Research Institute: User Research Facilities
- Agricultural Analytical Services Laboratory
The Agricultural Analytical Services Laboratory provides a wide range of testing programs for soils, water, plants, biosolids and other agricultural materials. The fee-based programs are available to all University faculty and staff as well as the general public.
- View list of institutes, centers, laboratories, consortia, initiatives, and research groups at Penn State related to energy and the environment.
- To view a comprehensive list of Penn State institutes and centers visit the Office of the Vice President for Research's Centers and Capabilities web page.